Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Sustainability Visit

I visited a farmers market on Sunday March 9 and interviewed a worker..

1. What is your name and our role here at the (farmers market, CSA, community garden?
My name is Tera Simpson and I run part of this farmers market.

2. Why do you choose to shop/garden/support this CSA?
Well actually is really good for the environment for us to sell organic products, and also to support the CSA.

3. When did you first start coming here?
I started coming to a farmers market probably like 2 years ago.

4. Do you garden at home? Why or why not?
The only thing that I can do right now is not much since I don't have much space to garden a lot of stuff. So the only things I do plant are herbs and avocados.

5. What would be your advice to get others to do what you do?
As a worker at a farmers market I think the food that we sell here is very healthy food. I think they might want shop here for healthier food.

BLOG ASSIGNMENT :)

1. What struck you about the location you visited? Was it what you expected or very different?
What struck me the most is that there were different shops about very different types of foods. I expect it there to be more shops about organic food but there was only about 4 and the rest had jewelery and snacks of food and flower shops.

2. Which items were cheaper than you expected? Which were more expensive?
Well i saw different types of foods but the little fruits were expensive. Only if you wanted extra things on your fruit they would increase the prize. The vegetables were more expensive especially if you wanted the dozen.

3. Do you think you will start going to a farmers market more often? Or using a community garden? Or supporting a CSA?
Well i can't really say I'll start going because my mom is the one that buys the groceries and see usually bus the food from the supermarkets, but I am going to start encouraging her to shop at a farmers market. I think I will support the CSA its very important because its all about being healthy and eating right.

4. How do these locations fit into our essential questions of "Why Don't People Live More Sustainably?" and "How Can I Convince them to do So?"
Well people might not live more sustainably because maybe they can't afford to buy expensive food. We all know organic food is expensive, but it is important to eat healthy so we can have a healthy life. We can convince them to do so by giving more information on how it can be healthy for their kids and also their whole family. If more and more people buy organic food instead of junk food then companies would start making organic food and might decrease the prize of it to make money.

6 comments:

  1. Heyyy joshi,

    Well I like how you look in the picture obviously because I took it lol.

    Well I like how you said that it stuck you a lot when you saw different type of shops .

    And I also like when you were being specific on what stuff were expensive . (:

    And well all what you wrote in your blog was awesome it was really interesting GREAT JOB<33333 Mamashhh<333 (;

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you interviewed the person who ran the farmers market because you can get a lot more info about the whole market in general then asking someone who works there or a shopper. What made me think was that your mom doesn't want to go to a farmers market and you're trying to convince her because some people don't go to farmer's markets simply because they're less convenient then normal supermarkets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited this same farmers market on a Thursday but i noticed the same things you did. I noticed that there wasn't that many stands with produce and a lot more with flowers and snacks.I think it was a good idea that you interviewed someone who ran the market rather than a seller or a shopper because you got more information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that interesting that you found a bunch of jewelry stands at the farmer's market. At the one I went to, I found no jewelry stands at all. Great replies to the blog assignment and good interview.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it great that you will start to encourage your mom to go to the Farmers market. And the fact that you found jewelry stands intrists me.
    Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its cool that you interviewed a worker rather than a customer. It was coolthat they had more than just food there. Good job

    ReplyDelete